Safety is a priority at E&L. Any company can claim that, but we back it up with facts. We have been awarded the AGC Safety Award for the past 5 consecutive years. We are proud of our record and keeping our men and women safe. They are our most valuable asset. Without our people, we are merely a sign and a warehouse of construction equipment. Our people are what make us the E&L Construction Group. It is our responsibility to ensure that our team is safe. Our Safety record is certainly no accident.
- We emphasize safety from the very beginning of the project at the kickoff meeting.
- We don’t tolerate unsafe practices.
- We keep our safety program current.
- We attend seminars on safety. Those attending come back and share what they learned with the rest of the company.
- We make arrangements to mobilize the AGC Safety Van for conducting training at our job sites every single year.
- Safety is the first topic covered at every job meeting.
- All of our superintendents are certified in the “Save-a-Life” program. They understand basic first aid and CPR.
- Finally, our superintendents conduct safety training on a weekly basis through toolbox talks.
We have a rotating quarterly safety program that is additional to all of the above. Our superintendents must complete safety training with the topic of their choosing on a quarterly basis. The topic must be relevant to the jobs they are performing.
We take safety very seriously. Failure to stay within the E&L Construction group, Inc.’s safety policy and training guidelines results in forfeiture of any bonus for the year.
We take safety beyond those within our company. We insist that our entire project team all participate in our safety program. Compliance with our program is mandated as a part of their contractual agreement with E&L. We invite them to take advantage of the AGC Safety Van when it is on site. We inspect our subcontractor’s work and observe their methods to be sure we have work sites that are safe.
Many companies can claim to do safe work, but we can back ours up with the awards that have recognized our efforts for excellence in safety performance. The E&L Construction Group, Inc. has been recognized on a state and/or national basis for safety every year since 1997. Here are the more recent awards since 2006:
- Project Safety Excellence Award–General Motors
- Construction Safety Excellence Award (incident rate of 0.0)
- National Association of General Contractors Safety Performance Award
- Michigan Association of General Contractors, Outstanding Safety Award
Winning awards and being recognized for outstanding safety performance is always great, but the real award in safety is returning our folks back to their families uninjured every single day. No job is worth the price of an injury. We do everything possible to be sure that an injury does not occur on an E&L Construction Group job.